Freakin' Fuel Lines

Cory,
Thanks, that's a big help.  And a relief, too.  I was under the impression =
that clamps wouldn't withstand the high pressure of FI lines, but if =
you've had success I'm certainly willing to give it a try.=20
Of course, now I wish I hadn't cut the old lines so close to the ends.  I =
guess I'll have to cut the new metal line I got.  Still a lot cheaper than =
putting it in the shop, though.  And you know, I just want to do it =
myself.
Speaking of cheap, I just did my first cheapass performance mod:  I =
"swiss-cheesed" a spare airbox and put it on my '86 8v. (summerocco)  I =
don't know if there's any real difference in driveability, but it sure =
sounds cool.  Reminds me of the way my father's '54 MG TF sounds.  Maybe =
now he'll trade cars with me.  NOT!
Thanks again,
-Mike

Mike Eldred
Staff Reporter
Deerfield Valley News
MikeE@vermontmedia.com
P.O. Box 310
West Dover, VT 05356-0310
(802) 464-3388, ext. 16
(802) 464-7255, fax
www.dvalnews.com

>>> "Langford, Cory" <Cory.Langford@icbc.com> 04/19/02 11:11AM >>>

Had the same problem on my old '82.

Unfortunately, if you want to run the VW stock metal lines you end up
pulling everything to run those (engine, steering rack, etc). =20

I talked to my mechanic.  He pointed out that BMW makes a very nice high
pressure rubber line and they use that in older cars.  So that is what I
did.  Cut out a huge rusted out section under the car.  Bought a good =
length
of the BMW fuel line and connected it up to the good portion of the metal
line.  Just make sure you use connectors that will not crimp or cut the
rubber.  I used the crimp on ones with the sleeves in them (like VW uses),
the typical screw down type for water hoses, etc you get at your local =
parts
store will actually bite into the fuel line and you could have a possible
problem later on.

As for the fuel pump and accumulator. VERY common problem.  The rubber =
parts
of the mounts rot out.  I believe any 8V A1 uses the same system so if you
head down to a wrecking yard you can pull just the casing and replace =
them.
Not too hard.

Hope that helps.

Cory