Removing an axle.

JARED HASS wrote:

> Trying to remove the axles but my allen bolts, on the side where it mounts
> to the tranny, are rounded out or are getting rounded out with me trying to
> get them to loosen. Any suggestions on how to get them out?  Will using heat
> be an issue with the gear oil inside?  Also anyone know of the top of their
> head what size of socket I need to remove the axle nut, I have always had a
> shop replace this stuff for me but I figure now it the time to start doing
> it myself.
>
> Thanks for the help,
>
> Jared
>
> ______________

Jared,

The fasteners are most likely NOT allen 6 sided, they are only allen
(hex) on very early VWs. Most Sciroccos I have seen are using Twelve
Point (also known as Triple Square) fasteners, not to be confused with
Torx, which is another fastener altogether.

The CVs are 8 mm Triple square which is why Hex wrenches tend to strip
them out.  Stop now and confirm you have the right driver before
continuing.

As another mentioned, you can shoot them with a good penetrant like
Liquid Wrench and let sit awhile, then be sure to use a small screw
driver to clean out all the old grime in the socket, then use a small
hammer to tap the bit into the socket a little to get a good bite.

hth,
TBerk