020 tranny ?

On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 07:10:05PM -0400, Tony Morehead wrote:
> what can be done about a stiff clutch petal and a bad buzzing sound when
> one tries to put the car in gear?

>From your email address, you seem to have a 16v.  If you still have the
original self-adjust cable, I would not be surprised if this has happened:

http://www.slacktide.org/dan/pics/clutch/cable1.JPG
http://www.slacktide.org/dan/pics/clutch/cable2.JPG

The cable wore through a metal elbow just behind the brake booster,
causing a stiff clutch cable, gritty feeling in the pedal, and caused the
self-adjust mechanism to not self-adjust.

Replace it with the manual adjust cable, it's much more reliable, and a
LOT cheaper.

Oh, and if you ignore the problem, it my make your throwout bearing do
this:

http://www.slacktide.org/dan/pics/clutch/bearing1.JPG
http://www.slacktide.org/dan/pics/clutch/bearing2.JPG

Dan

--
Here sit a hundred pounds of hardwood with a compressive strength of 1500
psi, jointed by an expert craftsman into a rigid box that would easily

Not only is it blind engineering overkill of epic proportions, it is also
an environmental disaster. The home to generations of squirrels, a
sentinel post for falcons, an autumnal banner of golden glory, a living
creature, was chopped down to enshrine some underwear. This, my friends,
is no way to run a planet.