tech: engine balancing - why dont our engines havebalancer shafts?

Right.  Balance shafts are generally not necessary on engines smaller than
about 2.4 liters; of course depending on a number of variables including
the stroke length.

Some smaller 4-cylinders (Camry 2.2 for example) have them; and they do
smooth out the motor, but our 1.8 and 2.0-liter engines (while lacking the
smoothness of, say, a Mercedes 4-cylinder) aren't bad enough to warrant the
cost and complexity of a balance shafts.

Jason