Almost Stranded. Help

Julie:
when the engine is running poorly or acting like it is going to die is
the tach holding steady or is the needle dropping?
If the tach is holding steady it's more likely to be a fuel problem. If
the tach needle drops that would indicate ignition.
As far as the fuel pump, the main pump can still be running and making
all its usual noises and the pump in the tank can be taking a dump and
causing some of your symptoms.
Also, how's the inside of your distributor cap and rotor look? make sure
the rotor doesn't turn on the shaft, the plunger in the cap sticks out
far enough and there are no carbon tracks.
Dan