[tech]: how to keep yer header from cracking?

finally found the elusive exhaust leak on my new car. big 'ol crack just
upstream of the o2 sensor and cat. this was my first good look at the
exhaust: seems pretty nice, ss throughout, tt according to the po.  it looks
to have a header with no flex joint, though the laws of physics conspired
against me to make one. got it welded best it could without removing the
exhaust (for another day...). the question is how to keep it from happening
again. all i can think of is a solid/poly tranny mount (would one in front
help as well?). appreciate the suggestions. the car seems just a touch
faster, though still slow. i'll redo the mixture/timing this weekend to see
if the air being sucked in/pushed out affected it...
-michael
87 new scirocco 16v-header, 1.8 head, alledgedly bored/stroked 1.8->2l
bottom, euro cam, fuel enrichment. still slower than my old stock except 2l
head/2l bottom roc for some reason.