Drive flange removal - Help! (there's text in this one :-)

Before I got the tool, I fought like hell with a generic steering wheel
puller and a ratcheting cargo strap to compress the flanges.  Both
worked...sorta.  I have heard that a carpenter's pipe clamp can squeeze
the flanges as well.

The proper tool is so simple to make or so cheap to buy, it's hardly
worth the trouble to work around it.  (It's a piece of flat steel bent
into a square U, with a drilled a hole in the bottom of the U.  Also a
threaded rod and nut, the rod screws into the axle, the nut forces the
tool against the flange, compressing it.)

The other tool you *will* need is a circlip pliers.  (Not needlenose,
not screwdrivers, not snap ring pliers.  Circlip pliers.)  Get them at
NAPA or Sears or the like.  You may have to file the tip to get it in
the groove in the flange; no biggie.

Don't mean to sound harsh but the hassle of working around the right
tools makes it well worth the $ to go buy them.

Ron

--- Mardak <maardak@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> Reading the procedure in the Bentley tells me to use VW Tool #391 to
> remove the drive flanges.  Do I need this tool to do the job, or is
> there another way?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mark

=====
Cheapass Ron
"Victor" '87 16V Scirocco
"Teufelhasen" '93 Cabby <-For sale

If it ain't foggy, TURN OFF YOUR FOG LIGHTS.