[tehc] engine swap

At 12:42 PM 4/12/2002, Night Shadow wrote:
>Motronic, OBD II

Ooh -- you just said a bad word.  OBD II.

>Not bad if it includes all accesories, intake manifold, etc (you won't
>need the exhaust manifold).
>
>These motors were 115hp and 125 ft/lbs stock.  But, injection can be
>chipped, cams, conefilter intakes, etc can make these decent performers.
>Or just bolt your head on and go with your injection....easier than trying
>to swap the whole thing in intact (like I have done...still working on the
>wiring).

Patrick, if you do plan on doing it, I recommend going with an OBD I engine=
=20
-- i.e. pre-1996.  OBD II engines have a mess of other shit that needs to=20
be added in to stop your computer from throwing codes -- vacuum pumps, bla=
=20
bla bla.  The suggestion of keeping your FI as it is and dropping in a 2.0=
=20
block is probably the easiest and will net you some nice power.  The swap=20
to OBD II can be very difficult.

And don't worry too much about mileage on the 2.0s... they're practically=20
indestructible.

Jason

----------
1987 Scirocco 2.0 16v
1994 Golf 4dr VR6  (OBD I thank God!)

http://www.scirocco16v.org

"In the olden days, a good flame war could go on for weeks or months, with=
=20
hot invective flying around like rhetorical shrapnel. It was high art, high=
=20
entertainment. Though tempers flared hot and professional bridges were=20
sometimes irreparably burned, ultimately it was a game =97 a participatory=
=20
sport in which the audience awarded points for felicitous disparagements,=20
particularly well-worded putdowns, inspired squelches."  -- Christopher=20
Locke, "The Cluetrain Manifesto".