suspension ?- rear lower stress bar?

Allyn wrote:

> anything that attaches to the moving part of the suspension is by definition a sway bar.

Really?? 30 years of reading about suspension and I didn't know this!

I hate to be an ass, but this statement is so overly simplistic and does
a great disservice to less knowledgeable people on the list.

Actually, what Brett described is a stress bar. It's just different in
that it doesn't brace the chassis, it braces one trailing arm to the
other. They ARE cantilevered beams and they will deflect laterally under
load. Whether this addition is a benefit or whether it induces unwanted
deflections on its own is, perhaps, open to debate.
It isn't a sway bar!
Dan