What kind of gas

> Most fuel companies put in fuel system cleaners in thier high octane fuel to
> keep the engine and fuel system clean.  This is very beneficial to the
> performance of the engine.  Using these fuels regularly will stop you from
> needing to get your fuel system professionally cleaned, having to reaplace
> injectors etc. which can get expensive.  I know a lot of people complain
> about it being expensive but shit, you can't even get a gallon of water from
> the supermarket for less than a gallon of gas.
> Brian 86 16v
> 98 Jetta GLX Vr6

Replace injectors?  Heh....well I am glad you have been sucked in by the
marketing hype....I prefer the real technical truth.

Let see...my first car, 1978 Rabbit, bought new by my father, and driven
its entire life on 85 octane, ran like the day it was new when I sold it
with 148k on the clock....never needed injectors....

What ruins injectors is foreign particles in the gasoline...like rust
flakes.  I have yet to find a CIS injector ruined by gasoline.  And if the
system needs a cleaning because of varnish build up, use the right
stuff....don't rely on some additive package in your gasoline.  BG 44K is
the absolute best "pour in" solution.  Yes it is expensive at close to $20
a bottle, but it does AMAZING things to those old varnished up injectors.
Use that every couple years, and you'll be fine...keep a clean fuel filter
in there too.

BTW, all gasoline you buy today has fuel additives, and cleaners.  No
matter the grade. When you buy a certain brand of gasoline, all you are
buying is their additive package.  Without the additive packages, gasoline
from one brand or the other would be exactly the same.  Now, both of your
vehicles are knock sensing type igintions....no need to defend your
position, you should use higher octane.

My whole point was to educate some people about why you may or may not
want to use high octane gasoline, expecially after your rather broad
statement.  Use the right octane for your engine and ignition system.

--
Eric
Northglenn, CO

76 Honda CB400F Super Sport
80 Scirocco (Parts car again, no more DD duty)
81 Scirocco S (2.0 16v swap and complete restoration in progress)
81 Rabbit Truck LX Diesel (THE NEW RIDE)
00 Golf GL TDI (Katy is driving this for now)

-Kelli Fox