Battery Charging

So, EE's, what makes a good automotive battery charger?  I'm not asking
which brand to buy, but something more theoretical.

Specifically, I'm wondering about trickle chargers.  How do they prevent
overcharging?  I assume that once the battery reaches some level of
proficiency, then the charging circuit is interrupted, but how is the charge
level determined?  What are the practical dangers in not having this
protection?  Wiring diagrams and lengthy explanations are
welcome/encouraged.

BH

PS:  I'm and ME, but I did fine in my EE courses. :)