Replaced knock sensor, now car runs like crap!?!?

humpnyomom wrote:

> My knock sensor was trashed, so I replaced it on my 16v Scirocco with CIS-E.
> Now my car runs like crap. I finally got the idle to settle down a little by
> playing with the idle screw, but the idle is very bumpy and still jumps
> around some. What could this be from? Idle was pretty good before I replaced
> the knock sensor.
>
> Justin
> '86 Scirocco 16v 2.0L

Did you torque the K/S to the right value:

Type I 84 to 108 in-lbs
Type II 5-18 ft-lbs

[Note foot-pounds vs inch-pounds]

"The mounting bolt for each type of sensor has a different torque
specification. Using the correct torque is critical to proper operation
of the K/S If you over tighten the bolt it will crush the sensor if you
under tighten it it will not respond correctly to knocking. vibrations.
In either case the the K/S system will go into it's 'Default' mode and
radically retard Ignition to prevent damage to the engine. The symptom
is an obvious and significant loss of power. "

Resistance check for each type is 'about 300K Ohms for Type I and
Infinite Ohms for a Type II.

I don't have a working scanner to demonstrate the different types in
pictures but the 1st type seems to be made of a folded piece of sheet
metal of other folded over material, the later type is the only one I
know of with it's molded plastic case and black color.

hth,
TBerk