timing marks

I have been told this by a fairly knowledgeable ex-VW
mechanic:

To adjust timing, you plug a vacuum meter in the main
vacuum port out of the intake manifold.

You untighten the distributor.

You adjust the distributor (advance) for maximum
vacuum, around 21" (scale of a vacuum gauge).

And you back off 1".

Tighten the distributor.

Aparently it is one of the means that car makers use
to test brand new engines in development stages.

Works for me...

Cheers.

Marc
'83 Scirocco
'88 Scirocco Slegato

 --- Ryan Ruggles <ryanruggles@uniserve.com> a écrit :
> Guys.....I must have asked a stupid question judging
> by the lack of responses.  Can anybody tell me where
> the mofo timing mark is on the bell housing.  You
> know, the mark that I align the flywheel timing mark
> with.  If anybody could tell me where this damn mark
> is I'd be in there like a fat kid on a smartie.  My
> engine is a 1.8L JH in an 84 roc.  I've timed lots
> of cars just not a VW.  Does anybody know which hose
> is the idle bypass hose?
>
> Thanks,
> Ryan

Lèche-vitrine ou lèche-écran ?