timing marks.........help!

--=======462F6AB2=======

At 01:35 PM 4/2/02 -0800, Ryan Ruggles wrote:

>I was trying to check the timing on my 84 roc.  I've never done the timing
>on a scirocco before. Where are the <mailto:fu@king>fu@king iming
>marks?  I think I saw the one flywheel but I didn't see anything on the
>bellhousing, like where on the beelhousing are they?  Are they inside the
>hole?  Are the on the outsie around the hole?  Wtf?
>
>Can some one give me a description of where they are?  Also where is the
>idls bypass hose?
>
>Thanks for you help
>Ryan

Ok, if the timing plug doesn't like coming off you can get a nut and bolt
the same size, weld the nut to the bolt, and then use that with a wrench on
the other end to unscrew the plug.  Works great for me.
Now for the timing marks on the flywheel you should see three
marks(hopefully I'm right and there aren't more), two are some lug looking
things and the third, smaller one, is a notch.  That notch is what you are
looking for.  What I would do when you find it is brush it off with either
a small wire brush or sandpaper and then put some white out or a dab of
white paint on it.  Makes it much easier to find in the future.  They are
inside the hole on the flywheel, the rusty brown round item in the hole.

John C. Worden
Bucksport, Maine

'98 Dakota 4x4-Just rolled 100K
'86 Scirocco 8V-
'81 Scirocco 2.0 16V -
'78 Scirocco Brazil Brown Metallic,  4 speed.