Another tranny question

Thanks all for the tranny insight. I'll be trying again to get the
shifter lined out.

-----Original Message-----
From: scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org] On Behalf Of Wes Brockway
Sent: Monday, April 01, 2002 6:23 PM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Another tranny question

I thought I'd break these into separate posts to make it easier to
answer.

I've tried and tried to get my shift linkage adjusted. I've gotten all
the bushing replaced, even the one on the main shift rod and I'm still
having trouble getting her to go in and out of gears. Not too bad if I
accelerate slowly but terrible at faster speeds. I still don't think
I've got it right as I'm having trouble with all gears.

But to be sure, how much difference can a misadjusted shift linkage
cause? Enough to make a good transmission seem bad, or just enough to be
a slight hassle.

I've tried the cassette holder but tomorrow I'm picking up an alignment
tool from my FLAPS.

Also, the Bentley says to make sure the rod hook, or whatever that thing
is called, should be centered for and aft along the guide plate. I hope
you can visualize what I'm describing. My guide plate curves at one end
so I don't know what constitutes the length to make sure the shifter in
center in.

Help!