New engine concerns and observations

  Well, it was a good weekend in VW-land.
First of all, I got to put almost 300 miles on my new motor, I almost
used a full tank of gas!!
My concerns:

Starts right up, all the time, everytime. Idles well, sounds good.
Accelerates well, up until 3000-3100. Then I get some vibration, I can
feel it in the shifter and gas pedal. At interstate speed (75mph,
3400rpm) it seems to smooth out, and when accelerating from 70 the
vibration is less. The cam lights up around that time too, and it takes
off. But I'm worried about the vibes, I'm really hoping they aren't
bad.....This is the '84, JH with the Autotech cam (268*), 4-2-1 exhaust.
I did a valve shim check, and everything was within specs. Brakes are
finally not crunchy amymore, but they are a bit soft. Pedal goes down a
ways, but then they grab and are predictable. Not a lot of pedal feel,
however. Not bad for sitting over a year, I guess. My Redline'd 4K
shifts nice and smooth, I still need a bit of adjustment. Oil pressure:
I know it's good (with having a guage and all), but occasionally my
isiot light will run while idling or low revs. I replaced the lower
sender when I swapped the motor, and the dual-output sender is of
unknown age. Which sender controls the idiot light? At idle, when warm,
I'm showing about .5 bar at the top of the motor. Suspension has finally
loosened up and is responding, it rides nice and handles well
(stock/non-performance shocks/springs).
Even with the cam and better exhaust, it feels a bit sluggish. Maybe
it's because I'm used to driving the free-revving, much more hardcore
(as far as creature comforts are concerned) '81 (vinyl vs. cloth, open
cabin vs. tighter, more composed cabin, etc).
Anywho, I'm enjoying driving my car, and I'm getting used to it again.
The 2 cars are on completely opposite sides of the spectrum, blind-fold
me and I could NOT tell you they were the same car.

My car decided to cause trouble coming home from bowling Friday night, I
blew a tire coming home on the interstate. I had lent my spare to a
friend, so I didn't have one. Luckily a friend was home, and up
(1:30am), so all was not lost. Anyone know of a source for Pirelli HP
tires? Have 'em on my car, never seen 'em before.

On Friday, I saw 3 Corrado's and a red MkII Rocco. Both of which are
rare cars around here.....

Nate
'81
'84