Today's adventures with customs

Since I live near the border, I've had lots of experience crossing
(even just to party).  I just went over to pick up my brand new MK1
windshield that I had delivered to the guy I bought my car off of in
Canandaigua NY.  The U.S. customs official didn't believe my story at
all at first.  She said "you're going where, to pick up what?"  I guess
it does sound kinda fishy - I was driving about 5 hours total there and
back to pick up a windshield...  I had to explain to her that my car
was over 20 years old, and these parts are getting harder and harder to
find...  Slowly I could see that she was starting to believe my story,
but she asked me a zillion questions - obviously trying to trip me up
or find inconsistencies...  If this was before Sept 11. I would have
been pissed, but I can understand why they're being extra careful.
Maybe the turban I was wearing didn't help either (kidding!)  :)

Getting back into Canada was pretty much the same, but they were super
nice!  They didn't even question my "receipt" from my friend claiming
that the windshield was used, and that I only paid $50 for it!  I was
real chatty though, and asked them a bunch of questions about taxes and
duty, etc...  In my experience the Canadian customs guys are usually
really friendly, it's the U.S. officials that always seem to have
something up their butt...

One thing I do know:  expect long delays if you're traveling with a
minority.  My best friend is West Indian and we get hassled EVERY time,
even though he was born and raised in Canada.  As if I need to lose
more respect for authority figures - freakin' racists...  Anyone who
tells you that there's no such thing as racial profiling is full of
crap...

Another thing:  cell phones don't work close to the border!  They must
have the towers spaced so there's no overlap or something...

Oh well, I guess there's no real point to this post, but you asked for
border stories!  Good thing I didn't ask you to bring across my order
from Adirondack eh?

Mark.