Installed new head, engine wont start...

Help!  I just reinstalled my p/p head tonight and am
having trouble getting the car to start.  I greased
the camshafts, poored some oil down the sparkplug
holes, made sure that the distributor was correctly
installed, #1 piston TDC, camshaft gear and valve
cover marking aligned for #1 TDC, etc.

The car won't start.  It hadn't been started for about
6 weeks, so after it didn't start the after the first
few tries, I drained the battery.  I charged it and
tried again.  It still didn't work.  I used jumper
cables to my wife's jetta and managed to get the
starter cable to the battery to smoke, then gave up
because it was getting dark.

Any thoughts?  Is this normal on a dry motor?

Thanks.

Russ