Varying idle, smells rich

Car: My '81 with a JH

Problem:
The car always starts easily, but when the air temp is warm--or on a hot
start, the car idles real low. It won't stall, but the tach bounces around
500 rpm. The car also smells rich at initial start-up. Then, once I've been
on the road for a while, the idle will go up to 1200-1500 rpm.

In the morning, when it's cold out, the car idles better at initial
start-up. But then the idle kind of degrades as the motor warms up over the
next 5 minutes or so. Then the idle stabilizes at the correct 900 rpm. Then,
after a long stint on the freeway (30 min or more) the idle speed jumps up
to 1200-1500 rpm.

Under acceleration and at speed there are no problems.

I'm hoping to smog my car on Monday, so I figure I should take care of this
problem before I take it in. Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks,
Theron