Re: Rear disk on mk1

--- Mash <type53@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- MIKE BLAIN <reptileis@home.com> wrote:
> > I acquired the rear axle assembly for my MK1,
> > to install this puppy, do i need to modify/upgrade
> > my MC?
> >
> > Mike Yellow 81 s
>
> Yellow 81 S?
>
> I am doing this to all three of our "keeper"
> Sciroccos
>  (1978,1981,1982).
>
> After consultations with several folks (including
> Potterman) I concluded that if you keep the 9.4"
> discs
> up front, the 20mm MC is fine. Potterman recommended
> using the proportioning valves from an A2 Golf
> (non-GTI)
>
> If you go to 10" fronts with the rear disks, you
> must
> get the 16V master C.
>
> HTH
Update:

Mad Matt & I were discussing brakes recently and he
pointed out that his '81 had what he thought was
proportioning valves for the rear brakes. He showed
me, they are directly below the MC (not connected to
it) on the booster. I checked my Bentley later and
confirmed that's what they are. I checked our
Sciroccos: the 1981, 1982, and 1985 (different style
though) have proportioning valves, the 1978 does not.
Checked a 1980 Scirocco this week - it does not have
them.

Conclusion: for the 1978 Scirocco I'm sticking with
the above plan.

For my 1981 & 1982 "keeper" Sciroccos, I'm scratching
my head - do I by-pass the stock proportioning valves
and use the valves from an A2 Golf or will the stock
proportioning valves do the trick?

Will be consulting the gurus (esp. Potterman) again .
. .

=====
Mark Peele
1985 Scirocco, 1982 Scirocco, 1981 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)