Re: scirocco-L-digest V1 #1899

RE:  Recaro/Lowering Front Seats

I've taken a Dremel with cutoff emory wheels and enlarged the grooves? to
put the rear of the seat virtually on the rear carpet.  I'm 6'2" and
still have the seat reclined and should clean the headliner frequently
fWIW. On 87 16V.

RE:  Front wheel bearing woes

If your rent the tool for $30, you probably should do both wheels at same
time.  IMO, if you mark the strut camber eccentric bolts, its NBD to
remove the hub and take to machine shop and have them press in new
bearing.  They will take care of getting the hub off the old bearing.
BUT...if you have been driving around a while on bad bearing, you may
have to replace the hub, too.  Its about another $30 and if you have
tracked the car, its a known weak point and is not a bad idea to
replace.  And, when you have the upright off, ensure the ball joint is
good.  Do all the stuff at once.

When you reassemble, if you do one side at a time, if you get the camber
wrong it may be visible upon inspection and the toe changes, which
results in the steering wheel no longer being centered.  On hard driven A1s
I only get ~45-50 k miles out of bearings, so you may as well learn how
to do R&R.  My $0.02.  (repacking with Redline synth grease did not matter).

RE: wire guage redux.
Original number in my post was just the diameter of a single strand
conductor and not area in circular mils.  AWG size has NOT changed.
Regret the confusion.

--
Brian D./OH
How can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all...