Re: Aluminum honeycomb and Roccos?

I'm assuming you mean for reinforcing panels and such?  The other option
would be for crash absorbtion.

Aluminum honeycomb is really annoying to work with.  With things like foam
or nomex honeycomb and fiberglass type combinations, you can shape the
honeycomb/foam better, then add the fiberglass on top of it.  With aluminum
honeycomb, it's hard to get the individual sections joined, and it can't be
shaped or even cut very easily.  I have no experience with the aluminum
stuff, but that's what I've heard from people who have, and based on my
fiberglass/composite experience (also limited), I believe it.  My guess is
that it is used now by people who are more comfortable with metal than
composites, or in limited and specific applications.  It definately has it's
uses, but fitting it to curved panels apparently isn't it (so I'm told).

The most prevalent use I know of for it is in crashes.  It makes an
excellent, consistent energy absorber.  That makes it easy for NHTSA and the
like to achieve the forces they want on a car during a crash test, and
spreads impact time well when used in the vehicles.

Sincerely;
Brian Haygood