Re: [tech]How to find Shift Points / redline [The easy way!]

Wow, isn't this the coincidence...

Some of you will remember that I wrote a program years back that will do this.
Well, as planned (and promised), I have re-written it for Excel and it's
just about done. All you need to have is your dyno sheet, gear ratios and
some other basic info on your car (Cd, weight, tire size, etc), and the
program will calculate:

- Best shift points
- Top speed
- Time-to-speed acceleration (0-10mph through 0-top speed) (*)
- Time to distance acceleration (1/4 mile, 0-60, 100, 330, 500, 660, 1320,
and 5260 feet)
- Top gear acceleration passing times (**)
- 0 to Top speed time and distance
- Support for up to 6-speed transmissions
- Support for top speeds up to 300km/h (186mph)
- Values in both US and Metric formats

And the best part is with my torque curve, it's accurate to within 1mph on
top speed, 0.1s on 0-60, and 0.2s and 0.2mph on 1/4 mile times when
compared to the average of the three big magazines' (C&D, R&T, Motor Trend)
tests of the Scirocco 16V. :)

Now -- I've talked with Brett about selling this program for a nominal
price (US$7) and donating 50% of the proceeds to www.scirocco.org to help
cover the costs of bandwidth and hardware for the site and the list.  If
you guys are interested (and let me know), I will make it available for
purchase online (should take less than a day) and you'll be able to pay
online and get the program instantly using Visa/MC/Amex/Diners, Wire
Transfer, Cash, Check, or Money Order.

Let me have your feedback and if it's positive, I'll throw it on the
website. (***)

Jason

(*) The standing-start acceleration numbers are non-clutch dump numbers,
but nevertheless come up almost dead even with the car magazines.  The loss
of time due to the lack of clutch-dump seems to almost exactly outweigh the
loss of the program compensating for the power needed to accelerate (a) the
engine itself and (b) unsprung reciprocating weight, i.e. , wheels, brakes,
tires, and axles.
(**) The only thing that doesn't seem to match up with the car magazine's
tests is the passing time.  I assume this is because my calculator doesn't
take into account the time the engine needs to react to the sudden
application of full throttle.
(***)  I'm not making _any_ guarantees about the accuracy of the
program.  It's use is intended for informational purposes only.  There are
too many factors at play to *ever* realistically predict any specific car's
acceleration and top speed.  This program tends to be highly accurate
because it is based on actual dyno data, however actual results may
vary.  With that said, it's pretty damn close to the actual numbers on any
car I've tested it on, and for comparative data -- such as "how much would
reducing weight by 100lb help), it's fantastic.

All Rights Reserved, Your Mileage May Vary, You May Be a Freak, etc, etc...