[tech update+]: is my flywheel on wrong?

ok, so i *finally* have my car up and running after 6 weeks w/ a rebuilt
2.0l 16v. the last episode involved a bolt that fell into the bellhousing
and machined a hole through to the differential. i repaired the hole
w/jbweld and a piece of aluminum, and it seems to be holding thus far, no
leaks. i keep flushing it with tranny fluid to get all the little aluminum
bits out (if anyone has a better idea for this, lmk). i had originally just
did a half ass timing using the cam sprocket to get it running. today i went
to do it right, and couldn't find my timing marks on the flywheel. turns out
they were about 180' off (about 90' on the cam). cam timing still ok; i
checked at the piston using a screwdriver. the only thing i could think of
was that i installed my flywheel wrong, which i didn't think was possible.
the pressure plate only goes on one way because of the bolt pattern, right?
and the flywheel only goes on one way because of the dowel pins, right? so
what happened? tia,
-michael
88 drivable 2.0l 16v scirocco (yay!) with a tranny that needs to be yanked
again (boo)