[OT] Passat Auto-tranny... good?

So I'm getting this '91 Passat that doesn't run.  My
biggest fear is dumping several hundred dollars into the
car to get it running and then discovering the automatic
tranny is junk.  I'm guessing that the only clue I have to
its condition is to drain the ATF and check for mixing with
gear oil?  Anything else I can do?  The body on this car is
damn near perfect and would be a shame to part out.
However, I'd seriously consider it if the tranny was shot.
(Mmmm....    2.0 16v conversion....)

=====
Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
8 VWs & counting.
"I do have a cause though...  it is obscenity.  I'm for it" - Tom Lehrer.