Re: MSD Box Installation

So by the colors you named, I'm guessing its an 8v, so I'll use that diagram
in Bentley.

Two wires come from the ignition control unit to the coil.  These are the
green wire, and one of the blacks.  These should be replaced with the MSD's
two wires, I would assume.

On a 16v, the red/black wire goes to the tachometer and the upshift relay,
so that should be left on the coil.  On the 8v wiring diagram it disappears
into T14, which is identified as the instrument cluster wiring harness
connector, so it's probably the Tach.  It also goes to the fuel pressure
relay, presumably to keep the fuel flowing only as long as the engine is
running?  So it sounds like this should be left on the coil.

The other black wire is connected to line 15 at the top of the diagram.  On
page 13-6 of Bentley, Table A tells you this is the line that recieves power
when the ignition is switched to on.  Nice to know if you want to hotwire a
Scirocco.  I suppose this would have to be left on the coil.

So my suggestion is to unplug the two black wires, and see which one gets
power when you turn on the ignition.  Put that black wire and the red/black
wire back on their terminals of the coil.  Wire the two wires from the MSD
box directly to the coil, in place of the green wire and the other black
wire.  There should be no need to make a crimp connection, just use the
coil's terminal like VW did.

Hope that helps.

Sincerely;
Brian Haygood