Re: [tech] Q's on installation of used cam

Agreed, the Neuspeed cam that is in Katy's 8v came with specific
instructions saying NOT to bed the cam like that, there was no need since
they manufacture their cams the same as stock VW ones.  I think the idea
of beading in cams on a hydriolic lifer car is pointless..

Eric

On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, Anthony Pelletier wrote:

> What is this "cam break in" I keep hearing about.
> I've installed maybe 5 cams (not all in my cars) now
> and never done this, and not had a problem yet.  I
> bougth some shircks used installed them in my rocco
> 16v, then removed them, and put them in my jetta 2
> weeks ago.  No wear signs.  I wasn't aware that you
> were supposed to do anything special.
>
> I have pics up at
> http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1711734&f=0
> (under jetta cam install)(I got MKI pics there, too)
> oh and I probably shouldn't have put the 50mm and cams
> in the jetta casue it just rolled 189,000 miles.  But
> the car still runs 100%
>
> Tony
>

> --- thescirocco@juno.com wrote:
> > On Thu, 6 Sep 2001 05:49:37 -0700 (PDT) Cheapass Ron
> > <rapieper@yahoo.com>
> > writes:
> >
> > > I certainly will use assembly lube and follow the
> > tried-and-true cam
> > > break-in rules (vary the RPM, stay above 2000 for
> > 1/2 hour, etc.).
> >
> > Huh... That's a new one... <g>
> >
> > Try 20 min @ a constant 2000 RPM...
> >
> > http://members.aol.com/pumaracing/cam1.htm
> >
> > ...And don't forget to change your oil and filter
> > afterwards, since the
> > engine assembly stuff will clog up your oil filter.
> >
> > HTH!!!
> >
> > Peter - http://thescirocco.com - Discount
> > Techtonics, Autotech-Quaife
> > USA, Ronal, Magnecor & Peloquin Dealer -  Bear, DE
> > 19701
> > '79 Scirocco 16V "Retro"
> > '83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"
> > '84.5 Scirocco "Oddball"
> > '84 GTI  - SciRollers: '79 White, '84 Black, '88 Red
> > -
> > http://www.neojedi.com/feedbyte/topTen.php

> >  DO
> > NOT!!!

> > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
> > Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for
> > less!
> > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
> >
> > --
> > Email LIST problems to:
> > scirocco-l-probs@scirocco.org.

Eric
Westminster, CO

76 Honda CB400F Super Sport
79 Scirocco (Parts car)
80 Scirocco (Parts car)
81 Scirocco S (2.0 16v swap and complete restoration in progress)
84 Scirocco Automatic (Katy's Daily Driver)
91 Cabriolet (2.0 8v swap and mechanical rebuild in progress)
00 Golf GL TDI (My Daily Driver)

-Kelli Fox