Re: [tech] Q's on installation of used cam

On Thu, 6 Sep 2001 06:55:41 -0700 (PDT) Cheapass Ron <rapieper@yahoo.com>
writes:
> Looks like we have conflicting data
> http://www.cranecams.com/instructions/valvetrain/camfail.htm
>
> The "vary the rpm" rule is one that I've heard/read/followed for the
> last 25 years...

You got me beat... <G>

I use the "vary the rpm" rule for new or rebuilt engines...

> but if I've never had one fail, and you've never had
> one fail, and we've done it differently, how important is it??
>
> Ron

It's important to me...

But if it works for you, then stick with it...

> > Try 20 min @ a constant 2000 RPM...
> >
> > http://members.aol.com/pumaracing/cam1.htm

The cam install instructions, that Autotech includes with every cam,
recommends 20 min @ 2000RPM...

It's not critical when installing a used cam, but I still do it. Even
after taking 10 hours to install used 268 Schrick cams and HD valve
springs in my friends '96 GTI VR6.

Btw, have you followed the same oil and filter change procedure for the
last 25 years also? ;^)

Peter - http://thescirocco.com - Discount Techtonics, Autotech-Quaife
USA, Ronal, Magnecor & Peloquin Dealer -  Bear, DE 19701
'79 Scirocco 16V "Retro"
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"
'84.5 Scirocco "Oddball"
'84 GTI  - SciRollers: '79 White, '84 Black, '88 Red -
http://www.neojedi.com/feedbyte/topTen.php

NOT!!!