Performance head question

A while back I picked up a ported & polished big-valve (40mm/35mm) head with a G-grind cam and adjustable sprocket. It's been gathering dust in the shed, but now I have a lifter clattering I'm thinking this might be a good time to swap it on. Hopefully I'll also be putting on an Audi 5000 throttle body with the intake manifold ported to match. It's going onto an '82 Scirocco which currently has a 1.8L 8V with a K&N air filter and mild exhaust (Techtonics downpipe/cat/2" cat-back pipes/Porsche 944 muffler), everything else (motor, CIS, ignition, etc.) is stock.

So my question is... how will this head affect my gas mileage and how much will it hurt my low-end performance? Anyone have experience with this sort of setup enough to know?

---
Curt

'86 Scirocco 8V, soon to be sold
'82 Scirocco 1.8 8v - the daily driver
'81 Caddy
'78 Rabbit 1.7L rustbucket in semi-retirement
'86 Celica GTS
'02 PT Cruiser - the wife's boat