Re: Anyone replace their lug bolts with studs and nuts?

At 07:15 PM 10/31/01 -0500, Shawn C Meze wrote:

>On Wed, 31 Oct 2001 16:24:32 -0500 "Aaron Ness" <aaron@makuta.com>
>writes:
>
> >I am annoyed by the fact that the Germans use bolts instead of studs.
> >Have
> >you ever compared how easy it is to mount a wheel on a vehicle with
> >studs to one without?
>

>Uh, YES. I change wheels in both camps (studs on the Corvette and bolts
>on the rest of my VW's.) quite frequently.
>
>Changing wheels sucks period. I find that changing wheels on a VW with
>hubcentric wheels is simple.
>
>Changing my Audi wheels on my VW's sucks because they're NOT hub centric.
>Find a hole..... find a hole..... it just sucks.
>
>Changing the wheels on the Vette sucks too! Line up the stud, hope the
>hub doesnt turn.... stab it...... damn. Try again. It sucks.
>
>Plus, the GM studs like to strip out and.or break about every 4th use. I
>finally got a big box of wheel studs and nuts so I can replace them as
>they break. (I dont even use the inpact on them either.) At least the
>studs are very simple to replace.
>
>Its all preference. I prefer to let someone else change my wheels.
>

>Shawn Méze

I'm in total agreement with Shawn on this.  I would much rather change a
wheel on
a VW with hubcentric wheels and lugbolts.  Yes the lugbolts seem like a
pain in the
ass, but I also have a Dakota which of course has studs and that is really
a pain.  To
put a wheel on that thing I have to lie down lift the damn wheel in place
and try to align
the damned thing, then get a couple of the six nuts on.  Granted I've found
that I mostly
have to lie down to see the wholes for the lug nuts too, but I still prefer
lugbolts.

John C. Worden
Bucksport, Maine

'98 Dakota 4x4-
'86 Scirocco 8V-
'81 Scirocco 2.0 16V - Needs an oil pump gear
'78 Scirocco Brazil Brown Metallic,  4 speed.