Re: fifth-gear and miles per gallon [CIS-E]

OK, here's why there is different flow at the 2 throttle positions:
Think if your running engine. Pistons act as a huge pump. This does whats
called 'drawing a vacuum' in your intake manifold. The only thing stopping
the 'atmospere' from rushing in to fill the vacuum is your throttle valve.
At idle, there is very little air coming in. The intake manifold remains at
a near perfect vacuum. This means for each intake stroke, the pistons only
draw in a little bit of 'air mass'. This small mass is coupled with the
little bit of fuel sprayed in by the injector. You get minimal combustion
and your engine stays at idle.
As you open the throttle, air rushes into the intake manifold faster,
attempting to overcome the sucking power of the pistons. This gives the
pistons more mass of air to suck in on each stroke. Since there is now less
restriction (throttle opening), air flows past the sensor plate faster. This
causes higher fuel pressure at the injectors (cis), spraying more fuel in.
This matches (hopefully) the increased mass of air in the cylinders, and you
go faster.
Now using this info you can see that opening throttle from 50-75% will burn
more fuel. Less restriction, more flow, plate rises, fuel pressure goes up,
more sprayed, more vroom.
Hope this helps.
Al

Allyn Malventano, ETC(SS), USN
87 Rieger GTO Scirocco 16v (daily driver, 170k, rocco #6) running - for now
87 Jetta 8v Wolfsburg 2dr (daily driver, 260k, 0 rattles, original clutch,
driveshafts, wheels :)