Turbo

All this talk of turbo is getting my jittery.....

I have no clue how turbos work and what the fuck they do for my car (well, I
kinda do after Reda explained it to me).  I could prolly assemble one and
prolly install one in my car.  Consequenlty, I have two questions...

1) can someone pass one a web site which would explain further how turbos
work and why I can't install a twin turbo in my VW?

2) does someone have the Bentley wiring diagrams for the 1.8T?  I've been
toying around with the idea of my next project and it sounded pretty awesome
to either turbo my existing 8V (any web page suggestions) or swap a 1.8T.

I hear that a 8V can easily be turboed by using an Audi setup.  Has anyone
gone this route?  How about a 1.8T swap in a mk1?

TIA

Sal
81 Scirocco 16V (the daily driver)
84 Rabbit (in storage til next spring)