From: Brian Wagner [mailto:scirocco_88_16v@hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2001 11:02 AM
To: Fry, Larry; aa821@acorn.net; scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: RE: scirocco-L-digest V1 #1932

If they are a stretch or a Torque to Yield bolt it is not advisable to reuse

them. After you have applied the initial load to the bolt and then remove
them the bolt has a different tensile yield pattern. As explained below

Torque-to-Yield Bolts

One-time-use, or torque-to-yield (TTY), fasteners take advantage of the
torque yield principle. Most torque specifications build in a 25 percent
safety margin--they can be overtorqued by 25 percent before damage occurs.
TTY bolts do not have this safety zone. They are designed to be tightened
just into the yield point but not to the extent that the metal is distorted.

The advantage is they deliver 100 percent of their intended strength, versus

the 75 percent strength provided by regular bolts. The drawback is that they

can only be used one time. Once they are removed from an application, they
can no longer support the load they previously did, and they must be
replaced with TTY bolts.

Brian

87 16v
86 8v (parts car)
85 Wolfsburg (white coming to a garage near me soon)