From: owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org
[mailto:owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of Sean Clark
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2001 11:33
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Losing ground during cranking.

     Well, in trying to fix my ground problem I think I should employ
something more specific than the typical fixes.  When I had the starting
problem worked on before, the shop found that the ground to the cold start
thermo time switch was lost during cranking.  They thought they fixed it
with a new switch, but the exact same problem is back after a week.  During
starting, the engine won't "fire up" during cranking.  Only when I release
the key does it start (and only on every third or fourth try.)  I assume
that's due to the ground coming back after the key returns to the
"accessory" position.  What would cause the ground to give out only during
cranking?
     Also, the battery doesn't seem to charge up during driving, each time I
start it it seems more sluggish.  Is this a related problem or just another
electrical SNAFU in my car?  Thanks a lot.

-Sean Clark
88 16v Scirocco