Re: waking up a cop late at night at a light.... WAS: What do you get when you pass the State trooper at 85?

Okay, I'll chime in with my latest almost-a-complete-disaster story. :)

Excuses:        1.  I've been playing *way* too much Grand Turismo on my
friend's P/S2.
                 2. I had just finished watching 2 hours of Nuerburgring
videos on my computer at work.

Vehicle:  1993 BMW 325i

Conditions:  2:30am, 34'F, dry roads.  Clear skies.

Offense:  Sliding completely sideways around every turn between work and my
house (2.5 miles).  I try for 4-wheel drifts, but it's tough to do on
public roads in town, so I'd usually just kick the ass about 25' out around
every turn.

The Almost Disaster:  Coming down a hill at outrageous speeds,
T-Intersection at bottom with Stop Sign; I must turn.  Preparing to turn
right at T, which goes up steep hill.  Transition to perpendicular road is
abrupt due to pitch of the hill.

Method:  Approaching the turn in full ABS semi-lockup, I dump tranny in 1st
(auto, redline = 45mph), swerve left to upset the chassis and then make the
turn to the right as abruptly as possible, apply full throttle, and
countersteer.

Result:  Rear of vehicle jumps out 90' to direction of travel (not
coincidentally the new direction I want to go), and while sideways jumps
slightly airborne onto the new street.  Power-oversteer keeps the rear of
the car out about 20' to direction of vehicle travel for approx. 2 seconds,
then pulls back into line.

Adrenaline:  Full ABS stop as I see 2 cop cars right in front of me
blocking the road because of a previous accident.

Shitting bricks:  One cop signals for me to turn around, and then after
making sure the other cop didn't see him, gives me an understated thumbs-up.

Tee-hee. :)
Jason