'90 Cabby Bumper Cover Repair

Any tips on repairing a plastic bumper cover?  The center of the front bumper is pushed in far enough that the A/C condenser came within about a 1/16 of an inch of being damaged.  I can take off the bumper, fix the damage behind it, and straighten out the metal part of the bumper, but what about the cover?  I'm tempted to heat it with a hair dryer and pop it back to its original shape, sand and/or bondo it to take care of the small stuff, and re-paint it.  Is this a good approach?

At first, I thought I would replace the cover, but they are $450 from the dealer, $650 from the one after market source I found, and very scarce at junkyards.

I didn't wreck the car, the PO rear ended a car with a wheel chair carried on the back bumper.

Bill