Re: sequential shift transmission conversion!

On Fri, 26 Oct 2001 14:14:26 -0400 "Scott F. Williams"
<sfwilliams@home.com> writes:

>Both of you are 100% right about this. However, the ideal is to
downshift
>throughout gear range, match revs along the way, and impart as little an
>engine braking force as possible. Engine braking does nothing good.

Whoa! Dude. Im not sure exactly what this is in relation to but, as a
performance oriented driver, you should see the benefit of a few
additional braking ponies. As someone who spends some time on the road
racing scene, I know for fact I cant brake hard enough and make it into
turn 7 at Pahrumph without heel/toe downshifting and allowing the motor
to help me slow for the entrance to 7 and then applying power to get off
the turn for the long straight. Even in other corners, I heel toe
downshift and use the motor to help me slow for the entrance to turns.
Even on daily street driving I heel toe downshift (its great practice and
when your in a racing environment, its second nature and not an effort.)
for stoplights or whatever the reason to slow, I use the motor and
brakes.

So, how do you do it in a rally? Do you brake and then stab the gear you
want and accelerate off the turns? Seems to me you would want to be in
the right gear comming out of a corner. Stabbing 5th to 2nd doesn't make
much sense to me. Maybe im just not seeing the full picture your trying
to paint? Don't misunderstand me, im not judging your driving style or
theory. If it works for you then great. I fear you might be missing out
on some potential performance that could be put to good use.

Have you ever heard the CART cars beraking hard into turn 2 at Long
Beach?? They're bouncing off the rev limiter while braking. They use it
all, fo-sho.

>Staying
>in the appropriate gear to maximize the available amount of engine
>torque is key! This is just as good for the street as it is in racing.

Yes but if your using the engine only to GO, then your not using the
whole package. Especially in racing. All is naturally, my opinion.
Baleed-dat.

Shawn Méze
86' Jetta GLi 8V       84' Scirocco 8V           88' Corvette -SS 30-
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 54-     79' "Project FSP Scirocco"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco(s) in all of
San Diego!