Re: kerosine cleanout?

I think its a bit extreme to use kerosene or diesel, but adding some automatic transmission fluid to the oil will clean out a lot of junk.  I added a small amount and then drove the car for a few weeks.  I have heard of other people adding a whole quart (after draining a quart of oil) and driving 100 miles or so.

Bill
basically: temporarily replacing some or all of the engine oil with a
lighter lubricant to dissolve / flush out deposits before replacing with new
oil. I've never done it with kerosene but I have done it using diesel, by
draining all the engine oil, replacing with diesel and idling the engine for
5-10 minutes. Diesel has the possible advantage of being full of detergents
which may get rid of more deposits. I've used it to successfully cure noisy
hydraulic tappets, especially on audi I5 engines which seem to be
particularly prone to this.