Fw: A1 Desert Run '01 - Oct 28.

Hello again,

 New name...A1's in the Scrub "01...better????

 I just ran the route today in the Jetta and it looks great!!!!!!
Good road surface and more curves than I remembered...it is going to be a
blast. :D
Took me about 3.25 hrs to run the entire route at a leisurely (he he, ya
right!) pace.

 Some words of caution tho':
Some minor golf ball sized rocks on some corners on the SJ side of Mt
Hamilton.
If you are going as a passenger MAKE SURE you don't get carsick or take some
dramamine.
If your car has a problem with overheating (oil or coolant) you might have
problems.
If your oil pump is starting to go or you don't have a splash guard on the
oil pump in the pan you might have problems.
(the oil buzzer for the my Jetta 16V came on a couple of times and my oil
temps reached 235*!!! at one point)
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A CLEAN WINDSHIELD and wear good sunglasses if you have
them!!!! The sun will be in our eyes climbing Mt Hamilton.
Make sure your brakes are up to the task as well along with tires, wheel
bearings etc.......
Your arms will probably get tired if you don't have PS so start eatin' your
wheaties :^P
If it rains we will carry on just with a little more caution but the run
will go on.
The directions are below, hope to see ya there. :)

See below for complete details, see ya there :)

 Randy B
81 Scirocco S
81 Scirocco S
87 Jetta GLI 16V - for sale

> Get your rides ready, this is going to be a fun event that will allow you
> really get the lifeblood of your A1 pumpin'.
>
> This will be another joint get-together between the Scirocco group and the
> A1 group.
> The last event was a blast and I hope to make this one as much fun :D
>
> These are the plans:
>
> Meet at New Dimensions between 9:30-10:00am, Sunday October 28th.
> For those of you that don't know of them, here is the info
> 2240 De La Cruz Blvd
> Santa Clara, CA 95050
> (408) 980-1691
> www.newdimensions.com <http://www.newdimensions.com>
>
> We will leave at 10:15am sharp.
> Please fill up with a full tank of gas before you get to New Dimensions,
> there will be no places to stop once we leave SJ.
> You also might want to empty the bladder as well unless you enjoy peing on
> bushes while others point and laugh ;^D
> If you have a radio, bring it. If you have a spare and wouldn't mind
lending
> it to another driver that would be apreciated :)
> I don't know what the cell coverage will be like but cell phones might be
> good idea as well.
> You also might want to stock up on soda, water, or snacks for the drive.
> Make sure your car is in good running order and bring some spares just in
> case, it will be a long tow home if you do break down.
> I have a AAA plus card if someone does have problems.
>
> Here is the route we will follow:
> From ND we will take 101 south to Alum Rock Ave.
> Alum Rock Ave east to Mount Hamilton Rd.
> This road has a lot of very tight switchbacks and steep, long drop-offs so
> use caution.
> We will wind up Mt Hamilton Rd to Lick Observatory and stop in their
parking
> lot.
> This might be a good photo-op depending on how crowded the parking lot is.
>
> We will then descend down the back side of Mt Hamilton on San Antonio
Valley
> Rd.
> This is a great road, not very travelled, and very scenic.
> After ~15mi. SAV Rd turns into Mines Rd and the scenery changes into a
more
> desert like scene.
> The road ahead snakes through dried out creekbeds and ranches.
> We will probably start seeing cyclists (both motor and pedalpower) so we
> will need to be attentative.
> Over some more foothills and we will come down into Livermore.
> We will probably stop somewhere along the way, where will depend on the #
of
> cars we have.
>
> Our path through Livermore to the lunch/diner spot will be:
> Mines Rd to L on Tesla Rd
> Tesla Rd becomes S Livermore Ave
> S Livermore Ave to L on 1st St.
> 1st St to veer R onto Stanley Blvd
> Stanley Blvd a couple miles to R on Valley Ave.
> Valley Ave to R on Santa Rita Rd.
> Santa Rita Rd becomes Tassajara Rd.
> Tassajara Rd a couple miles to just past Tassajara Ranch Dr.
> Left at light into parking lot and find a parking spot.
>
> We will eat at the local Pizza Joint (very good pizza).
> After we have filled up on food, we will caravan across Tassajara Rd. over
> to the Blackhawk Auto Museum for a tour/photo-op in front.
> I am still working on the photo-op/group discount entrance fee I but
should
> have it all set up this week.
>
> There are 3 gas stations in the vicinity (Arco, Shell, Chevron) to fill up
> at for the drive home.
> For those heading back south, take Crow Canyon Rd to Hwy 680 and go south.
> For those heading back north/west take Sycamore Valley Rd (aka Tassajara
Rd)