From: chris gonzalez [mailto:chris24g@yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2001 11:09 PM
To: curtv@eudoramail.com; scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: TECH:Trying to confirm rod knock

> could be something else entirely. Does it get louder under load? Do
yes.

> you have an oil pressure gauge and if so has the pressure dropped?
oil pressure gauge shows no drop in pressure.

if it is a main bearing, what are my options?

thanks for you input,
chrisg
'82 8v
'88 16v

--- Curt Voss <curtv@eudoramail.com> wrote:
> In my experience a worn rod bearing always knocks loudest in the
> first few seconds after you start the car until oil pressure builds
> up, so it doesn't sound like a rod to me. Maybe a main bearing, or it
> could be something else entirely. Does it get louder under load? Do
> you have an oil pressure gauge and if so has the pressure dropped?
>
> ---
> '86 Scirocco 8V, soon to be sold
> '82 Scirocco 1.8 8v - the daily driver
> '81 Caddy
> '78 Rabbit 1.7L rustbucket in semi-retirement
> '86 Celica GTS
> '02 PT Cruiser - the wife's boat
>
> On Mon, 22 Oct 2001 22:31:19   chris gonzalez wrote:
> >the patient: 88 cabriolet 1.8 8v (all stock).
> >the symptoms: start the car and everything sounds fine at idle.
> slight
> >ticking from the hydraulic lifters, but nothing out of the ordinary.
> >rev the car, and it still sounds normal. get it and drive the car up
> >the block still normal for about 1/2 mile, then a dull knock knock
> >knock that varies with engine speed. used a mechanics stethoscope
> and
> >the sound is apparently coming from the vicinity of the oil pan/
> >automatic transmission.
> >
> >I pulled off the oil pan and could not see anything out of the
> ordinary
> >(with my untrained eye, that is). connecting rod bolts are all
> there,
> >and torqued, at least...
> >
> >Should I go further and pull of the rod bearing caps and inspect the
> >crankshaft? I figure if a rod is knocking it's "gonna leave a mark."
> >Has anyone used the "ground out the spark wire trick"?
> >
> >Or could it be entirely something else?
> >
> >TIA,
> >chrisg
> >'82 8v
> >'88 16v

> majordomo@scirocco.org
> >

> Join 18 million Eudora users by signing up for a free Eudora Web-Mail
> account at http://www.eudoramail.com

[Disclaimer]This e-mail is strictly confidential and intended solely for the
addressee. It may contain information which is covered by legal,
professional, or other privilege. If you are not the intended addressee you
must not use, disclose, or copy this transmission. This E-mail is not
intended to impose nor shall it be construed as imposing any legally binding
obligation upon GKN Aerospace Chem-tronics Inc. and/or any of its
subsidiaries or associated companies. Neither GKN Aerospace Chem-tronics
Inc. nor any of its subsidiaries or associated companies gives any
representation or warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the
contents of this E-mail. GKN Aerospace Chem-tronics Inc. shall not be held
liable to any person resulting from the use of any information contained in
this E-mail and shall not be liable to any person who acts or omits to do
anything in reliance upon it.