Re: 10.1 brake question

--- Dan Bubb <jdbubb@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> So, the summary is:
> You can upgrade to 10.1 front brakes without
> upgrading the MC.
=======================
I've heard that this has been done, but I really don't
know (I decided that it was not worth converting to
the 10.1" fronts).

> You can upgrade to rear discs without upgrading the
> MC.
====================
If your car is 1980 or older, you will need to add
proportioning valves (from a 1985 Scirocco would
work).

1981 & up 8V Sciroccos already have rear brake
proportioning valves.

> If you upgrade both you have to upgrade the MC.
> Is this right?
=====================
yeah buddy, and the booster and pedal assembly too.

> On a side note, unless the pedal leverage ratio and
> front and rear
> piston sizes are the same between the A1's and A2's
> quoting A2 info may
> not be relevant.
================
Hmmm, don't know about the pedal leverage ratio.

I do know this - the A2 8V GTI (1985-1987) had the
exact same front calipers (KH 9.4") as an 8V Scirocco
(1980 & up) and exact same rear calipers (8.9") as a
Scirocco 16V.

Have fun!

Of course, I'll be in a better position to comment on
this once I've actually completed a couple of the
planned conversions, but I have consulted heavily with
some esteemed experts in the field ;-)

=====
Mark Peele
1985 Scirocco, 1982 Scirocco, 1981 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)