Please confirm a bad differential pressure regulator

Hi all,

	I decided to work on the 'Roc today.  Car in question is an '86 1.8 16v.
The problem has been a loss of power over time and hard starting.  I started
with basic tune-up stuff (plugs, cap, rotor) and took care of the leaking
distributor.  The plugs indicated a rich condition.  I went to test the O2
sensor and got a reading of 20.1 mA.  I replaced the O2 sensor and got the
same reading with the new one.  I used the same harness to check the
resistance of the differential pressure regulator.  According to Bentley, it
should read 19-22 ohm.  If I'm reading it right, my multimeter is telling me
resistance is upwards of 1500 ohm.  That seems way off, so I think I'm doing
something wrong.  Not being a multimeter guru, here's what I did.  Set the
meter to 2000 ohm, which should be reading 1 - 19.9k ohm (according to the
manual).  Put the meter in series with the test harness (wire into meter,
meter into regulator).  Tested with ignition and engine off.  So is my
regulator shot or am I screwing this test up?  Would a bad regulator cause
the O2 sensor to read high?  The interesting thing is the O2 reading is in
the range that it should be if the green wire from the O2 sensor is grounded
(open-loop?).  Any help would be appreciated.  TIA.

- Brad
'86.5 Volkswagen Scirocco 16v
'76 International Scout II