Re: scirocco-L-digest V1 #1922

RE:  Looseness in front end

Do inspect all the fasteners that were apart when doing the strut R&R.
I've had all the following come loose at one time or other:  ball joint
pinch bolt (very serious to fix!), strut camber fasteners, 30mm axle nut
(was off multiple times and blue Loctite was not enough-used new nut, and
a hard one to find-shock securing ring nut on strut insert.

RE:  Dash cracks/Armour All

It was alleged years ago that A All would break down in sunlight and
release Chlorine.  I dunno if its still true.  T. Berk was on right track
about daily treatments removing plasticizers, but it may not be fault of
dash treatment.  Cleaning by itself, even with distilled H20 can leach
those pthlates (see old Discwasher discussion on cleaning LPs).  So, it
could be the cleaning process itself.  Score one for laziness?

RE:  Tie Rod End removal tool

I've successfully used wimpy water faucet removal tool using "C" clamp to
keep the pulling arms from spreading.  It also assisted when the castle
nut didn't want to tighten.  Have since retired for S-K puller that is
far beefier, but it did break one of the securing bolts (but its like 25+
years old)

RE:  Low voltmeter reading

If you put electric batty charger on, and check the reading, it might clue
you in to excess voltage drop in wiring to meter.  Many 12V consumers
are on same circuit as voltmeter.  Cleaning grounds would be first as
suggested.  On my add-on, I've also used a diode before meter so I could
switch on meter and see cranking volts using SPST switch.  This gives ~
0.7V drop.  Probably not your problem.
Details as to history of car would help; ie if you had water leak which
could lead to fuse box corrosion.

-- Brian D./OH
How can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all...
Firesign Theatre