Re: getting rid of the drums?

--- Jorel Jackson <jorel140@yahoo.com> wrote:
> How hard would it be to replace the drum brakes on
> my
> 85 Scirocco with the disc brakes from say a 16v
> Scirocco? Any writeups on this out there? All this
> because someone said I shouldn't kill my 85 and feed
> the remains to an MK1. I'm not sure I could live
> with
> the guilt.
>

> Jorel

Fairly simple if you've done brake work before. As
long as you are NOT adding the 10" Scirocco 16V
calipers/discs to the front, you do not need to change
anything on the master cylinder. The 1985 Scirocco has
proportioning valves already.

There are lots of writeups on this. I can scan some
and email them to you if you wish.

If you can get a complete 16V rear axle, you could
bolt it on, add to that the 16V brake cables and
voila!

I am doing this conversion to our 1978, 1981, and 1982
Sciroccos. I have all the parts lined up for two of
the cars except for the A3 rear calipers, which I plan
to use since VW seems to have cured the ebrake
problems on these that plagued the Scirocco 16V (and
early A2) rear calipers.

Please do not kill ANY Sciroccos - thanks!

HTH

=====
Mark Peele
1985 Scirocco, 1982 Scirocco, 1981 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)