From: Neal Tovsen [mailto:res00ffj@verizon.net]
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2001 13:10
To: Fry, Larry
Cc: danws69@earthlink.net; roc E-mail
Subject: Re: RE: [engine] idle hunting...

But what Dan's describing is oil starvation from the RPMs falling so low
(near 0). This describes lifter tapping (the correct term is "cam follower"
on an OHC engine), and has nothing to do with the block. However, if the
tapping doesn't immediately go away when RPMs go back to normal, it may
indicate new lifters are needed or that his oil pump is weak. Neither are
terribly difficult or expensive, but that's another story and I presume
isn't the problem...

Neal

> From: "Fry, Larry" <LEF@chem-tronics.com>
> Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 08:56:41 -0700
> To: danws69@earthlink.net, "roc (E-mail)" <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
> Subject: RE: [engine] idle hunting...
>
> lifters tap....rods knock.  Sounds like you will be rebuilding the lower
end
> soon.
>  I've been chasing the same idle problem since I bought my "87 16V two
years
> ago.  If you uncover the cause, let the list know!
>
> on the same post; my in-car voltmeter reads one volt lower than my
> multimeter says the batt/charging voltage really is (e.g. 12.5V vs.
13.5V).