Re: Smog Test = GROSS POLLUTER

OK you out-of-cali guys who know more about our smog checks than us!  BFG
:)

Remember that a gasoline engine produces three chemicals that contribute to
smog.  HC, CO and NOx.  As you tune a car, you can minimize two of these
byproducts at a time while you increase the other.  You can lean the car out
to reduce HC and CO, but the NOx will go up.  NOx goes down as the car is
adjusted richer, but HC and CO go up.

Most states DO NOT TEST for NOx.  To my knowledge, California is the only
state currently testing for NOx.  The visual inspection (in other states) is
supposed to catch cars that might be putting out too much NOx.

So, bottom line.  In California if you are in an area that requires dyno
smog checks, you have to be below the limit for HC, CO and NOx.  There is no
way your car will meet the limit on all three chemicals without a working
catalytic converter.  For those of you in areas where they do not measure
NOx, count your lucky stars because you can pass the test without a cat.

Ian Overholt
'88 16v
'78 Champagne Edition