RE: getting rid of the drums?

You will need the axle stubs, the pads, the caliper, the brake
line, the rotors, the bearings, the dust shield and the emergency
brake lines (and I am sure that I forgot some little piece at 7am
in the morning. please chime it in)

Difficult ? Not really, Time consuming yeah..

The issue is that you need to change your Master cylinder as well.
get the 16v one (22mm) and install it. you will need to do this at
the same time you do the rear brakes.

Some people just get the rear axle of a 16v and slap it on,
personally I find this method more complicated as I don't have a
lift (grin).

Technote available, I have not seen one around, I will probably get
around to writing one as soon as I manage to get all the parts
assembled at home.

  / _ /_  __/ __/ A Texan's Scirocco,
 / __ |/ / _\ \   1985 8v, http://longcoeur.com/scirocco
/_/ |_/_/ /___/   (ICQ) 32918816 (AIM) Patricdlc