Re: cold clutch engagement problem

At 08:09 PM 10/18/01 -0400, Scott F. Williams wrote:
>Gurus, when I first start my Mk1 Scircco16v in the morning, it lurches
>forward slightly as if the car is in gear. With just a tiny bit of brake
>effort I can hold it still. If I do not do so, the car will move forward
>about three or four feet and then stop. This tendency goes away after the
>car warms up for a few minutes. The transmission was rebuilt less than 1k
>miles ago.
>
>What's going on here?
>--
>Scott F. Williams
>NJ Scirocco nut

Are you running some thick gear oil in there?  I've seen this(just a couple
of times)
in Maine when the weather got down to -20 or so below zero.  I just assumed
it was
the extreme cold freezing the oil.  I guess this combined with some
tolerances of
your rebuilt transaxle would cause this.  But, I am not an expert by any means.

with fixed email so I can finally email the list....

John C. Worden
Bucksport, Maine

'98 Dakota 4x4-
'86 Scirocco 8V-
'81 Scirocco 2.0 16V - Needs an oil pump gear
'78 Scirocco Brazil Brown Metallic,  4 speed.