RE: Smog Test = GROSS POLLUTER

So does that mean that it's time to take my 'roc in for some professional
work? To someone who has one of those exhaust gas analyzers (or whatever
they're called) and who can do the CIS adjustments? I've always done my VW
work on my own and I've never really had a problem that needed professional
help...that's one of the main reasons I love VWs. I always thought that the
CIS system just took care of itself as long as you didn't "f" with it.

Should I try the new cat and ox sensor first?

The car seems to be running fine. This past weekend when I fixed the aux air
reg problem, I also did a simple tune-up of rotor, cap, and plugs (no new
wires). I changed the oil as well because I had heard that oil could affect
(or is it "effect") emissions.

I prefer to just buy a new cat and ox sensor and install them this weekend.
I actually already have a cat on order. Unfortunately I wasn't able to buy
from discountconverter.com, as Brian Wagner suggested I do. I would have
liked to because they have some kick-ass prices.

But if the new cat and ox sensor don't work for the re-test, I'd be
concerned that I might jack up the new parts. Is that a possibility?

--Theron