Re: TDI Swap?

Ah, someone else has seen the light!  I too dream of a TDI rocco...

Problems:

TDIs are all drive by wire, so you would need the pedal set from a donor
car and have to make it work.

Figuring out motor mounts...don't know if TDI blocks have the right holes
for our mounts.

Best to use a stronger trans because of the torque, that means a cable
shifter from the donor car....again, some custom fabrication. (this is a
necessity, guys modifying their TDIs are having to do custom clutch setups
because of grenading their stock clutches, I don't think a 020 could
handle the torque from a modded TDI.  The setup the modded guys are using
is a G60 flywheel with VR6 PP and clutch disk.)

Would need a custom downpipe made as well.

TDI engines are EXPENSIVE, even used.  Best to find a complete donor car
that was hit in the rear.

All in all, if you had a complete donor, it could be done without too much
difficulty.  Westy owners have been doing these swaps for awhile, so they
may know the details a little better. (search TDI swap on the net, you
will find the westy forum I found).

Well...I hope I haven't discouraged you too much, would love to see/drive
a TDI rocco....but you just need to realize how much work it is.

Eric

On Mon, 15 Oct 2001, Nathan Dana wrote:

> What are the possibilities of throwing a TDI in a rocco?  Has anyone done it?
> I figure lots of torque is always a good thing, especially in autocrossing.
>
> Any ideas?

Eric
Westminster, CO

76 Honda CB400F Super Sport
79 Scirocco (Parts car)
80 Scirocco (Parts car)
81 Scirocco S (2.0 16v swap and complete restoration in progress)
84 Scirocco Automatic (Katy's Daily Driver)
91 Cabriolet (2.0 8v swap and mechanical rebuild in progress)
00 Golf GL TDI (My Daily Driver)

-Kelli Fox